Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Value of Real World Experience

The summer is flying by and it seems like just yesterday that I was beginning my journey as a law clerk for Rice, Amundsen & Caperton, PLLC. Looking back, I cannot believe how much knowledge I’ve gained in such a short period of time. My knowledge regarding everything, ranging from court proceedings to office dynamics to how the law works in general, has greatly increased.

In the few short months that I’ve been clerking for Rice, Amundsen & Caperton, PLLC I’ve realized that there are many things that simply cannot be taught in a classroom. One great thing about working for Rice, Amundsen, & Caperton, PLLC  is that Mr. Rice and his team are very conscious of the fact that, as law students, the law clerks are here to soak up as much knowledge and information as possible. That being said, Mr. Rice frequently takes his clerks with him to court, mediations, and depositions, and often lets us sit in on client interviews and meetings between the firm partners. I feel very fortunate to work with a firm that not only understands, but appreciates the value of real world experience.

When I return to school in the fall, I definitely feel like I will have an advantage over my classmates who did not take the opportunity to go out into the legal world and gain experience this summer. I am excited to go back to class and put my new skills and knowledge to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment