Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Associate Special: by Erin O'Dea



Although I wrote the blog entry last week, a lot has happened to me this week, so I thought I’d share.

1) I’m the owner of a new dog, named Quincy, adopted from the Collierville Animal Shelter last Friday.

2) While at court this week, someone looked at me and assumed I was a lawyer for the first time. For those of you who have never met me or seen me, I’m 29, but I look closer to 16, so this was a big accomplishment for me to appear to be a grown-up. An example: I went to the movies with my Father not too long ago, and the guy selling us tickets looks at my Dad and says, “One adult and one child.” So of course my Father replies, “Uh, yes. Thank you,” and then looks at me like he just won the lottery and got away with murder at the same time. Dad is a coupon cutting, penny saving, “jeans never cost that much in my day” kind of guy, and I love him for it, but seriously Dad, it was just a couple bucks off of a movie ticket. So, like I said, it is a big deal to me when people think I’m an adult.

3) I also went to court for the first time BY MYSELF this week… I was just entering orders, but still, I had to talk to the Judge, and those court rooms are built to be intimidating! I was so afraid I was going to mess something so simple up, and no one would be able to fix it… (Please insert sound of impending doom here.) Fortunately, everything went smoothly. I did not fall as I walked up to the podium. My voice did not crack as I addressed the Judge. I did not forget that I could not hand my orders directly to the Judge, and get tackled or shot by the Bailiff. So, all together, I’d say I had a pretty successful first run. Murphy’s Law did not take over this time, though I’m sure Murphy is just waiting for me to be overly confident and under prepared…

4) I have also been told that I will be the lead during an actual upcoming mediation… That’s right, I’m slowly moving away from baby attorney status, and getting closer to playing the role of an adult attorney. Unfortunately, that role also comes with more liability, and nightmares about accidental ethical violations, so I guess there’s a trade-off. All I know is I’m going to be really prepared for this mediation, and ask all of the attorneys above me A LOT of questions over the next month. It might be annoying, but I’m trying to keep Murphy’s Law at bay. I have my work cut out for me.

Overall, this has been a week full of firsts and changes. It’s strange and energizing to look at events while they are happening, and know that specific memory is likely to be burned in your brain forever. I have had a week full of those moments. So, until next time… if there is a next time… this could be my last blog entry since we’ll be hiring new clerks after the holidays (memory made). Thank you again for reading my ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment