Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Clerking at Rice Law: by Zoe Sams

I was recently given the opportunity to attend mediation. I went into it with preconceived notions about the process, but after everything was said and done, I was surprised at the lesson I had learned. I learned how important it is to be aware of what the process may be like for your client. Personally, I cannot imagine what it would be like to go through a divorce; however, during mediation, I was able to get a better understanding of what it must be like for our clients.

In mediation, they are expected to make rational decisions (with the help of their respective attorneys, of course) concerning the dissolution of something as personal as their marriage, as well as make decisions concerning what they will need for their future. To me, the task seemed daunting, and it is hard to imagine what it would be like considering the added emotional elements that the client must be feeling.

During the mediation, I was also able to witness how attorneys manage to work with their client in this emotional state, while keeping the professional mind-set needed for negotiations. This is one trait that cannot be learned in a book or classroom, but by practice. I appreciate the opportunity to witness attorneys who can make that transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment